This house is located in Fontclara, a small town of about 40 houses in the “golden triangle” of Ampurdá, a tremendously natural and quiet landscape next to the Costa Brava, in the western Mediterranean. The triangle is formed by the medieval towns of Pals, Peratallada and Palau Sator. Fontclara is a peaceful oasis with its own character, located in close proximity to coastal towns full of shops and restaurants.
The house was formerly a mill and has gone through various renovations. The last one was carried out in 2016 and involved raising the rooves, replacing the entire air conditioning system, expanding the space and changing the finishes on the roof and floors.
In the garden, three different spaces were created. The entrance was a semi-covered space (porch) in which a six-seater L-shaped sofa and dining table were placed. This space is separated from the pool by a staircase with six steps, with a five-foot drop. On the right side of the pool is a platform made of large pieces of natural stone, accompanied by a teak deckchair. After the pool, another outdoor space was created, with a pergola of wood, wicker and vine with flowers, under which was placed a stone table and benches that serves as dining room for the pool area. In the final part of the garden, we took advantage of the existence of three fig trees to place a bench in an intimate space, an ideal spot for reading.
In the interior area, the two floors of the house were organized to simplify and expand the spaces. On the ground floor, walls were demolished to leave five living spaces: a living room, kitchen, dining room, utility room and bathroom. A large rectangular dining room was built, with three cabinets (for crockery and glasses) made of Colombian oak. At the other end of the room, we placed a rectangular low cabinet, also in Colombian oak, under a large window, for dining room utensils.
The kitchen was also a large space with natural light, for which Born in Wood provided all the furniture in painted and lacquered fiber board. The masonry was made with white marble and shelves were added to the walls. An old white marble sink was installed. The main contribution to the kitchen was the floor, which was made with hydraulic tiles, responding to the design specifications provided by the owner of the house.
For the living room we provided a sofa, a coffee table made of steel and wood, and a classic stone fireplace, which is a replica of an 18th century French fireplace. The upper floor was organized after the renovation of three bedrooms, a study, terrace and three bathrooms.
In the master bedroom we installed a painted natural cedar wardrobe, the quality of which will not deteriorate over time. We also provided an Asian colonial-style bed, in natural lacquered cedar. In the adjoining bedroom, we installed a Colombian oak wardrobe and a double bed like the one in the master bedroom. For the third bedroom, we provided a built-in wardrobe (similar to the one in master bedroom) and a built-in bookcase, both in painted natural cedar wood, and two single beds. For the study, we supplied a sofa bed, a coffee table in iron and pine, and a built-in bookcase. We also provided and installed all of the wooden flooring on the second floor.
For the rectangular terrace on the second floor, we installed a small pond, hanging clay pots, suspended by iron fixtures from the wall, an iron and glass rope table, and four iron armchairs painted black, with cushions. This created an ideal outside environment, perfect for watching the beautiful sunsets of the area.
Elements made by Born in Wood for this project:
- Three cabinets, two pieces each, with a cupboard and a cabinet made of Colombian oak
- Rectangular low cabinet for the living room in natural oak
- Colombian oak closet for bedroom
- Two coffee tables in iron and oak
- Two 9 x 6 foot built-in wardrobes in natural painted cedar
- A 9 × 6 foot built-in shelf
- 495 square feet of natural oak flooring
- A ladder covering in natural oak
- Stone fireplace
- Complete furniture for the kitchen in painted fiber board
- Kitchen floor in hydraulic tile
- Stone veneer for three bathrooms
- Iron corner sofa with weather-proof textile cushions
- Coffee table made of pine and iron
- Pine and iron dining table with two benches and two chairs
- Set of four iron armchairs with cushions and iron and glass table for the upstairs terrace
- Stone table with two benches.
- Stone floor for the right side of the pool
- Two wooden and iron benches for the garden
- Two low tables for the sides of each bench
- Four teak sun loungers
- Pond and 9 x 9 foot made of stone.
- 8 x 9 x 50.5 inch pottery hanging planters and steel supports